An appliance that I thought would be more of a novelty item in my kitchen is our air fryer. I thought it would be good to have as a healthy alternative when I was in the mood for some fries or fried chicken. 2 items that are a staple in everyone’s diet right?!
I was so wrong.
Charlie and I use our air fryer almost every day. So much so that when we go grocery shopping we look for things we can try to throw in there. We’re obsessed!
The way air fryers work is almost like a commercial convection oven. It uses forced air to cook and crisp the item you’re cooking. This means you use virtually no oil when cooking, but are still able to get a crisp! I’m going to be real though, not all products come on the same compared to deep frying. But everything I’ve tried so far I’ve enjoyed!
I did a lot of research on air fryers – the pros and cons of each, factored in the cost, and evaluated which would be best for our home. We decided to go with the Phillips Air Fryer for a couple of reasons. First, the reviews. It got good reviews on Amazon as well as other store sites like Sur la Table and William Sonoma. Second, is the ability to buy parts for it. The biggest flaw that most consumers mention about air fryers is the basket. Some say that the non-stick chips, rusts, etc. But if your basket gets its wear and tear over time, Phillips sells the basket so you can easily replace it!
That was it, I was sold!
Today, I’m going to be sharing our favorite thing to make in our air fryer. French fries and chicken wings!
Garlic French Fries – Makes 2 servings
Note: Charlie and I like shoestring fries, but you can put any fry in there and it will crisp up nicely! Only thing to remember is the bigger the fry, the longer the time.
- Fill your air fryer basket with 10-12 oz of fries (this is about 1/2 of a small bag)
- Set your temperature to 350 and cook for 7 mins. Open up and shake fries around to prevent sticking.
- Set your temperature to 400 and cook for 4 mins. or until golden brown/desired color.
- While your fries are frying, melt a pat of butter and lightly brown 1-2 tablespoons of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Remove fries from basket and transfer into butter and garlic mixture. Add salt and pepper if desired.
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings – Makes 2 servings
Note: My suggestion would be to purchase cooked wings.If you want to go with uncooked wings then I highly suggest to boil them the night before or right before you put them into the fryer. Season your water with your favorite spices to give the chicken more flavor!
- Place 10-12 wings in your fryer (start with cooked wings for a shorter cook time) and set your temperature to 400. Cook wings for 17 mins or until golden brown.
- Remove wings immediately from fry basket and transfer into a bowl.
- Toss in lemon pepper or your favorite seasoning.
Leave a Reply