If you guys know me, I came off of a low carb diet a little over a year ago. A low carb diet worked well for me because I’m a carnivore. I could do without sweets and starches most of the time and replace them with vegetables and salads. The only thing I don’t really like is chicken. Especially chicken breast. Bleh!
I’m now starting to measure my macronutrients as a whole. And from what I hear, chicken breast is your friend. Let’s say that for me chicken breast is more like that popular saying “keeping your friends close and your enemies closer.” I’ll eat chicken breast, I guess lol, but it’s got to be juicy and interesting!
So here I am trying to make chicken breast interesting by stuffing garlic, spinach, and cheese in it! 🙂
- 3 chicken breasts
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 tbs. garlic, minced
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Baker’s twine
- 1 small can Cream of Mushroom soup
- Grate your mozzarella cheese. I prefer to grate my own cheese because the pre-bagged stuff tends to have powders in it to keep it from melting together and creating condensation in the bag.
- Sautée your garlic and spinach in some olive oil until spinach is wilted.
- Mix 1 can of cream of mushroom with 3/4 cup water.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Butterfly your chicken breast. Be careful not to cut it all the way through!
- Place sautéed spinach, garlic, and cheese in the center. Save some cheese for the end!
- Roll your chicken breasts and tie with bakers twine in 3 places. Note: I like to use baker’s twine instead of toothpicks because it holds it together better and you can easily snip the twine off when you’re done cooking
- In an oven safe pan (i.e. Cast Iron) sear your chicken breasts on all sides.
- Add your cream of mushroom to deglaze the pan.
- Put entire pan in the oven and bake for 35 mins or until chicken is fully cooked. Turn off oven.
- Add remaining cheese to the top of each piece of chicken and leave in oven for 5 mins to melt cheese.
- Cut and remove twine.
Enjoy with some brown rice, quinoa, whole wheat French bread, your choice! Happy eating! 🙂