People have this perception of owning a business. They think it’s so easy and so cool because a business owner can “make their own schedule,” “do something they love,” and “can make money for themselves.” And while it’s great because I can do all of that, it’s far from easy. Especially in the beginning of a business, it takes a lot of work, money, and time you don’t have. But you do it anyway. You do it because you’re passionate about what you do, you want to succeed, and if you don’t do it..who will? Most of us that start businesses also have a “day job” so your small business becomes your “night job” and free time. Being a business owner since
I was 19, I sacrificed a lot of my free time, money, and opportunities to do things other people my age were enjoying. Instead of going out, traveling, partying, and shopping I was investing in my business, working on the weekends, working during the day, and working at night. And was I jealous? Of course I was, at the time. But I knew that what I was doing was investing in my future and doing something I truly enjoyed.
So for this of you that are thinking of starting a business. Let me give you a few pieces of advice:
- You’re going to fail a lot of times before you succeed. Be excited about that! That’s how you learn the most about yourself and your biz.
- Be patient with yourself. 9 times out of 10 an overnight success is just that. It may be successful now but their foundation is usually weak. A true solid foundation takes time.
- You’re going to sacrifice a lot. If you want your business to succeed, you’re going to have to invest in it. Time and money. But trust me, it’ll be worth it!
- Celebrate your triumphs (big or small). Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Learn from your trials (big or small). Make each struggle worth it.
Business ownership isn’t for everyone. Some people are just not built that way. But if you’re passionate about something, feel like you can offer the world something special, and are willing to work hard for it then business ownership is one of the most rewarding things you can every do.