Low Carb Taco Skillet Recipe
It’s been 2 weeks since I’ve restarted my low carb adventure with my workout buddy and dear friend. Though there’s nothing really significant to share regarding my fitness or weight loss yet, there is one thing I can share – RECIPES!
I’ve been on Pinterest and Yummly looking for recipe inspiration and found this recipe for a taco skillet dinner by Courtney of Sweet C’s Designs. It looked delicious and was relatively low in carbs so Charlie and I decided to try it, with a few of our own revisions. We were right, it was delicious! We don’t have tacos at home very often so the flavor was a nice change. Here’s our recipe below (as well as the carb content, booyah!) if you want to make it for yourself at home.
What you’ll need (makes 7 servings):
- Ground beef (1-1.5 lbs)
- Canned tomato with green chilli (2 small cans)
- Baby kale or spinach (or both!) (2 cups) – Keep in mind spinach has less carbs per cup
- Green onions (2 tbs, diced)
- Cilantro (2 tbs, minced)
- Yellow onion (1/2 cup, diced)
- Bell peppers, pick your favorite color (2, diced)
- Adobo seasoning (1 tbs)
- Chilli powder (1 tbs)
- Sriracha (to taste, depending on how spicy you’d like)
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
Step 3. Add canned tomato, and let simmer about 15 minutes.
Step 4. Add your spinach/baby kale and stir, they wilt quickly so no need to simmer for more than a minute.
Step 5. Top with cheese and let it melt. Top with fresh cilantro and green onion and voila!
This was such an easy recipe! The best part, you only need 1 pan and don’t need to wash in between steps. Easy to make, easy clean up! As far as nutritional info, here’s the carb content for the amount that we made (based on the info we found online):
- Ground beef (1-1.5 lbs) – 0 carbs
- Canned tomato with green chilli (2 small cans) – 10g carbs, 5 g fiber = 5g net carbs
- Baby kale or spinach (or both!) (2 cups) – 2 cups spinach: 4g carbs, 2g fiber = 2g net carbs
- Green onions (2 tbs, diced) – 2g carbs
- Cilantro (2 tbs, minced) – 0 carbs
- Yellow onion (1/2 cup, diced) – 7g carbs, 1g fiber = 6 net carbs
- Bell peppers, pick your favorite color (2, diced) – 14g carbs, 6g fiber = 8g net carbs
- Adobo seasoning (1 tbs) – 0 carbs
- Chilli powder (1 tbs) – 3g carbs
- Sriracha (to taste, depending on how spicy you’d like) – 2 tsp = 2 carbs
- Salt and pepper (to taste) – 0 carbs
- Total: 42g carb – 14g fiber = 28g net carbs
That would equal 4g of net carbs per serving. Woot woot! Happy eating!